Let me start this article by saying; both countries are absolutely fantastic when it comes to getting married as a foreigner. Getting married may be a truly unforgettable experience, but it also pays to do your homework.
As a foreigner, you do need to prepare some documentation in order to get married, and it can be quite a pain as more often than not, it will involve at least one trip back to your country of origin. However; this can be avoided with the right kind of support from the local wedding specialist.
Getting Married in Malta
To apply for a Marriage Application, fill out Form RZ1 and submit it to the Marriage Registry in Valletta or Gozo, together with the required papers mentioned below. In Malta, there are no residence restrictions for getting married.
- The most important document you’ll require is your application to be made which is known as RZ1.
- RZ2s are declarations made under oath. Both of you must sign this in front of a solicitor, and the solicitor must stamp it with their seal.
- Both parents’ names are on the original long birth certificate.
- You’ll also need a statutory declaration from someone who knows you and the parents involved if it doesn’t have both names on it. This declaration must be signed by the solicitor.
- Passport – you can provide a photocopy of your passport for the application, but you must use your original when you arrive in Malta.
- If you’ve changed your name, you’ll need a deed poll certificate and parental consent if you’re under the age of 18.
- You’ll need a single status certificate if you’ve never been married before, which you can receive from your local registrar.
- If you were previously married, you’ll need your decree absolute as well as any previous marriage documents if you’re now divorced.
- You’ll also need a solicitor to sign an affidavit stating that you haven’t remarried after the divorce.
- Two witnesses must be over the age of 18 to be present.
Georgia Marriage process for foreigners
Georgia permits you to have a civil or religious wedding, depending on your interests. A legalised marriage is referred to as a civil wedding.
In order to complete your marriage licence in Georgia, you will only need to submit a few documents. Interfaith and international couples are also not subject to any restrictions. To get your marriage licence issued, all you need is identity documents like your passport, according to the official Georgian government website.
Please keep in mind that not every issue is so simple. In circumstances of divorce or the death of a spouse, additional documents may be required, and it is always a good idea to consult a lawyer or an expert. Our professionals can help you navigate these elements.
Final Verdict on: Getting married in Malta Vs Georgia for foreigners
Whether you choose a religious wedding or a civil wedding in both these countries, there is some paperwork to fill out, and we can help you with this because it might be intimidating at first.
However it is important to one big differentiating factor between the two is that Malta accepts same sex marriage. If criteria is not relevant to your personal situation but it’s the location, convenience and price that matter; we suggest you speak to our team
Contemplating between the islands of Malta and the Georgian mountains; allow us to assist you in this decision.